Monday, August 23, 2010

Raincoats and Excuses


Today is a little bit too cold for a day in August. I mean, I realize that I live in Canada and these things can happen, but you just shouldn’t have to wear jeans, two sweatshirts and a raincoat in the middle of summer. And yes I also realize that it’s basically the end of summer (boo-hoo) but still!

Sometimes it seems like the weather is mimicking whats happening in life. Summer comes and school finishes and it becomes so hot that all you can do is lay around and be lazy. Just as Mother Nature becomes lazy with her natural brand of air conditioning. Then, as the leaves change colors so do we, we head off for first grade or we change citys completely, in search of what we hope to be the pathway to a better life. Which brings me to another point.


I move in exactly one week. I start learning a new language in a new school in a new city in a new home. I’m not excited and I’m not nervous, and thats what scares me the most. In high school we are conditioned to believe that University is the only way to go. Get and education, get a job, start a family. For a while I believed it, I had nothing else to go on, no other information to look into, but now I’m not so sure. I really have no clue what career I want...but I definitely do know what I want my LIFE to look like. I want to travel and live all over the world, I want to meet as many people as I can and help as many as I can, I want as little work and as much play as I can manage,I want to sing and play guitar and love. Can you think of any cookie-cutter careers that look like that? Nah, neither can I.


I found this quote on the Facebook page of a new friend thats going to be going to my University (Ironic?): “If it’s important to you, you will find a way. If it’s not, you will find an excuse” I’m not sure who said it but I think it sums up my feels exactly. I wonder how long it will take me to invent my way out of Uni...


-Putting another sweater on, Maddie


2 comments:

  1. I agree, it is so cold! I've been thinking a lot about relocation myself recently and I think somewhere warm would be quite dandy : )
    Where are you moving for school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm moving to Toronto, so its only about an hour and a half from where I live, but I wish it were further! I plan to move to Cali sometime in the nearish future. Although, it was pretty darn hot today! This humidity is killing me!

    ReplyDelete